SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio police responded to a downtown high school Monday afternoon following a called-in threat that turned out to be a hoax, according to authorities.
All of Central Catholic High School’s roughly 500 students were evacuated from the school as San Antonio Police Department officers cleared the campus room by room. The school is located at 1403 North St. Marys St.
WATCH: SAPD Chief William McManus provides details about hoax threat at Central Catholic High School
Students were allowed back into the building and officials said they would take attendance to ensure all students were accounted for before releasing them to their parents, according to Christine Rodriguez, a spokesperson for the school.
Rodriguez emailed parents at 2:44 p.m to let them know the emergency lockdown was lifted and that the school would provide more information as it is available.
School officials said that they will offer counseling to students. Extracurricular activities would resume as scheduled but parents have the option to take their kids home, if they prefer, officials said.
SAPD Chief William McManus was among the officers who responded to the scene.
He said that a growing trend of “swatting” calls — an attempt to get police to respond to a certain location under false pretenses of a threat — have been made around the country this year.
He said the emergency response was “fantastic.”
McManus said that the department learned lessons following the massacre in Uvalde’s elementary school in May.
Last month, a chaotic scene played out last month at Jefferson High School, where a hoax call prompted a massive police response. However, in that case, frustrated parents swarmed the school in an effort to get their child before police had completely cleared the building.
Parents were upset that more information wasn’t provided sooner. The school district, SAISD, later agreed to adjust its policy to better notify parents.