SAFD: Fryer fire damages Sonic restaurant after automatic extinguishing system fails

No injuries were reported

SAN ANTONIO – A fryer fire at a Sonic restaurant on the West Side caused significant damage after its automatic extinguishing system wouldn’t turn on, according to San Antonio Fire Department.

The fire happened just before 10 a.m. Sunday in the 10800 block of Potranco Road.

Fire officials said an employee was operating the fryers when a small fire started. Though she tried to extinguish the flames, she wasn’t successful and notified 911.

The flames began to grow and SAFD said the automatic extinguishing system that’s above the fryers was not operating correctly. The fire spread to the suspended ceiling before it was put out.

No injuries were reported. However, the damage was extensive to the kitchen area and the ceiling, according to fire officials.

SAFD said the restaurant will be closed down for a bit for repairs and equipment replacement.

Also on KSAT:

About the Authors:

Cody King is a digital journalist for KSAT 12. She previously worked for WICS/WRSP 20 in Springfield, Illinois.