Hello parents, teachers and students! Today’s experiment explores the chemical reaction between baking soda and vinegar. We’re gonna make spaghetti dance!
Be sure to check out GMSA@9 on Wednesdays when Meteorologist Sarah Spivey does the demonstrations and explains the science behind it.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- A clear pitcher
- 1 cup water
- 10 broken pieces of spaghetti
- baking soda
- A spoon
- 3 cups vinegar
DO THE EXPERIMENT
- STEP 1: Put the water in the pitcher
- STEP 2: Breaking the spaghetti into tiny pieces, place them in the pitcher
- STEP 3: Mix enough baking soda into the water to make it very cloudy
- STEP 4: One cup at a time, put the vinegar into the pitcher...this can get messy! Do it outside if you need to
- STEP 5: Observe the gas pick up the spaghetti, making it ‘dance’!
SCIENCE WITH SARAH
If you’d like Sarah and David to come to your school and conduct a science experiment live on KSAT, fill out this form. “Winners” are selected at random.