Fire shuts down NE Side Chacho's, damage estimated at $100,000

Fryer believed to be the origin of fire

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio firefighters say a fire that damage a popular Northeast Side restaurant appears to have started in a fryer.

Chacho’s & Chalucci’s, located on Perrin Beitel Road near Loop 410, was open when the fire broke out around 11 p.m. Tuesday.

Everyone who was inside made it out safely.

Officials say the fire in the fryer sent extremely hot air up into the ventilation system, causing the roof also to catch fire.

Firefighters were able to knock it down quickly. Still the fire caused about $100,000 in damage, firefighters said.

Employees on hand Wednesday morning said it’s too early to tell when the restaurant might reopen.

About the Authors: