Grease fire causes $100,000 in damage to NW Side home

Family of 6 safely escapes fire in 8100 block of Pemberton Street

By Ben Spicer - Web Producer, David Ibanez - Web - Managing Editor, Max Massey - Reporter/Anchor

SAN ANTONIO - A grease fire caused $100,000 in damage to a home where a family of six lived on the city's Northwest Side early Monday morning, fire officials said.

The family safely escaped the fire, which was reported around 3:30 a.m. in the 8100 block of Pemberton Street.

"They were cooking. The fire got too hot, and it caught the kitchen on fire," said Thomas McNulty, a battalion chief with the San Antonio Fire Department.

McNulty said the fire spread to the roof and caused heavy damage to the living room.

"The fire did begin to blow out on the one side and did catch the next house on fire," he said.

Madelyn Rogers, a next-door neighbor, said the fire forced her from her home.

"I was just shaking scared because I was thinking, 'I hope it doesn't catch my house on fire,' but they said, 'That's why we got to get you out, because it might,'" Rogers said.

Copyright 2018 by KSAT - All rights reserved.