Motorcyclist killed in northeast San Antonio crash, officials say

Motorcyclist was traveling at high rate of speed when he collided with van

SAN ANTONIO – A motorcyclist in his 30s is dead after crashing with a minivan at a high rate of speed on the Northeast Side, according to San Antonio police.

The motorcyclist, who has not yet been identified by authorities, died at the scene of the crash just before 9 p.m. Tuesday in the 15100 block of Nacogdoches Road, near Judson Road.

Moments before the crash, the motorcyclist stopped at a traffic light on the northbound lanes of Nacogdoches Road at Judson. A Nissan 350Z approached the light and stopped in the right lane.

The motorcyclist and driver of the Nissan both began revving their engines, police said, and when the light turned green, both accelerated at a high rate of speed.

The Nissan turned off Nacogdoches into a shopping center, and the motorcycle continued traveling at a high rate of speed.

It collided with a Toyota Sienna minivan that was traveling southbound and turning left into a subdivision, police said.

Police said the driver of the minivan saw the motorcyclist and “judged that she had plenty of time," but he was “going so fast that he closed the distance” without time for her to move out of the way.

The motorcycle struck the back of the minivan, throwing the motorcyclist off the bike and into the air.

Officials say individuals inside the minivan were not hurt.

About the Authors:

Rebecca Salinas is an award-winning digital journalist who joined KSAT in 2019. She reports on a variety of topics for KSAT 12 News.