Man arrested after fatal shooting, standoff at mobile home park on West Side; victim identified

Victim died at the hospital, affidavit states

San Antonio police have arrested a man who they said fatally shot someone and then barricaded himself inside an RV on the West Side on Tuesday afternoon.

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio police have arrested a man who they said fatally shot someone and then barricaded himself inside an RV on the West Side on Tuesday afternoon.

Carlos Roberto Negron, 39, was taken into custody after a standoff that lasted several hours, according to police. He was charged with the murder of James Franklin Read, 57, court records show. His bond is set at $250,000.

An arrest warrant affidavit states that Negron shot Read during an argument just before 3 p.m. at the Lackland Mobile Home and RV Park in the 7600 block of West U.S. Highway 90.

Daniel lives a few feet away from the scene of the shooting. He confirmed to KSAT that the victim and suspect lived across the street from each other. Daniel, who did not want to provide a last name, said he drove past Negron and Read about 15 minutes prior to hearing a loud noise.

“I thought it was fireworks,” Daniel said. “Three shots (is what I heard), and I was like, kids must be doing fireworks.”

Closer to Negron’s mobile home was another neighbor, George.

“I was inside my trailer, just taking a shower, but I heard them talking,” said George, who also did not provide a last name. He said at that point, the conversation between Negron and Read seemed amicable.

“And then 10 minutes later, I heard two shots. I (looked) outside and there’s a truck, you know. (Read’s) body is halfway pulled out (on the ground), and one of our neighbors was trying to resuscitate him back to life.”

Negron retreated to his trailer after the shooting, where he barricaded himself, police said.

Responding officers found the Read with gunshot wounds near a white truck and performed lifesaving measures on him. Emergency medical services arrived and transported him to University Hospital in critical condition, but he was later pronounced dead.

The affidavit states that residents identified the suspect and his trailer where he retreated.

Police said they contained the area during the standoff and began evacuating residents upon arrival. Some residents chose to shelter in place.

“They were just on the loudspeaker trying to get him to talk on the phone, trying to get them to come out, you know,” Daniel said.

Hostage negotiators, a mental health unit and SWAT officers were at the scene and made communication with the suspect.

While SAPD said he walked out willingly, video recorded by witnesses show SWAT used a battering ram to make entry into Negron’s home.

“They used the battering ram to pull the door off, and that’s when they got him,” Daniel said.

Records show Negron was taken into custody at 9 p.m.

Although police said it is unclear what lead to the argument, neighbors say the two exchanged words often.

“Both of them had high tempers,” Daniel said.

“(Read was) a real, decent guy,” George said. “(He was) helpful, but he had a very short temper.”.

There were no reports of any other injuries.

Shooting at trailer park leads to standoff on West Side, San Antonio police say (KSAT)

Read also:

About the Authors:

Rebecca Salinas has worked as a digital journalist in San Antonio for six years. Her skills include content management, engagement and reporting.

Alicia Barrera is a KSAT 12 News reporter and anchor. She is also a co-host of the streaming show KSAT News Now. Alicia is a first-generation Mexican-American, fluent in both Spanish and English with a bachelor's degree from Our Lady of the Lake University. She enjoys reading books, traveling solo across Mexico and spending time with family.