SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs, winners of five of their first seven games this season, will look to continue their hot start on Wednesday night when they play host to the Toronto Raptors.
But much of the attention, however, remains on the release of guard Josh Primo, following his release amid allegations that he exposed himself to women.
On Monday, the Spurs’ former first-round draft pick in 2021, (12th overall) officially cleared waivers and became an NBA free agent, according to ESPN sources.
ESPN Sources: Josh Primo has cleared waivers and become a free agent.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) October 31, 2022
Details surrounding the allegations against Primo are still very limited, but NBA insider for The Athletic and Stadium, Shams Charania, said a former Spurs employee was among the women to whom Primo allegedly exposed himself.
A press release from attorney Tony Buzbee identified Primo’s accuser as former Spurs’ performance psychologist Hillary Cauthen. She and Buzbee are set to speak at a news conference in Houston on Thursday. Buzbee said she will be there to make a statement and also answer questions.
The 19-year-old guard was released by the Spurs on Friday, just four games into the NBA season and soon after the third-year option on his contract had been picked up by the team. Charania reports that Primo is still owed $8.4M, over the next two years, per conditions of his contract.
Primo on Friday, following his release from the Spurs, gave a statement to ESPN saying he will use his time away from the Spurs to focus on his mental health and heal from trauma.
“I know that you all are surprised by today’s announcement. I’ve been seeking help to deal with previous trauma I suffered and will now take this time to focus on my mental health treatment more fully. I hope to be able to discuss these issues in the future so I can help others who have suffered in a similar way. I appreciate privacy at this time.”
The Spurs organization continues to remain tightlipped, only referring to a statement given by Spurs Sports & Entertainment CEO RC Buford.
“It is our hope that, in the long run, this decision will serve the best interest of both the organization and Joshua,” the statement said.