SAN ANTONIO – The failed section of an old storm drain pipe that caused a large sinkhole on the city’s West Side has been replaced, city officials said Wednesday.
But additional proactive repairs to the 48-inch pipe are still underway in the 2600 block of Culebra Road and will require more time to complete, said April Alcoser, public relations manager for the Public Works Department.
The repairs were needed after a portion of the busy street caved in Monday morning, causing a two-vehicle crash. One person suffered minor injuries.
Since then, the eastbound lanes of Culebra Road near North General McMullen have been closed.
Alcoser said due to Fiesta starting Thursday, repair work will be paused Wednesday through Sunday. During that time, one eastbound lane of Culebra Road will be reopened.
When repair work resumes on Sunday, both eastbound lanes will be closed and all traffic will continue on westbound lanes until repairs are complete. Alcoser said the repairs are scheduled to be finished by April 28.