Two FAA grants expected to improve airport taxiways, terminal project

$17 million in grants will add new gates to new, existing terminals

SAN ANTONIO – With upgrades looming at the San Antonio International Airport, the FAA has announced two grants to improve maintenance and future projects.

The airport will receive two grants totaling $17 million from the Airport Improvement Program, along with one Airport Improvement Grant through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.

The funding will allow SAT to complete reconstruction projects on airport taxiways developed through the airport’s Pavement Management and Maintenance Program.

“This funding supports our continued focus on safety for both SAT and the FAA,” said Jesus Saenz, director of airports, San Antonio Airport System. “Our partnership aligns with all of the efforts going on behind the scenes – from the people working diligently on securing these grants to project planners and engineers.

One of the taxiway reconstruction projects will ensure the safety of airport operations by reducing the risk of debris and the possibility of pavement failure.

Another arm of the project will aid future expansion at SAT with the addition of Terminal C, which should be completed by mid-2028.

“We are always striving to be efficient and meet the highest safety standards in the industry,” Saenz said.

The new terminal will add 17 new gates to the existing 27 shared between Terminals A and B.

Terminal C will join several other projects that are expected to accommodate and improve the airport’s demand.

Read more:

Mason Hickok is a digital journalist at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, reading and watching movies.