People probably know not to feed their dogs chocolate, but there's an ingredient in things you use every day that could be just as deadly to your dog.
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener in multiple food products, such as peanut butter, cupcakes, cookies, sugar-free gum, muffins, ketchup, protein bars, fruit drinks and pudding, and if your dog consumes it, it can be fatal.
Because Xylitol is a sweetener that has few carbs, it's often used in keto-friendly foods, allowing people to stay in ketosis.
But that's not all. Xylitol can be in plenty of other everyday items around your house, including:
- Toothpaste (some of which are made specifically for dogs)
- Mouthwash and floss
- Nasal spray
- Variety of cosmetics and hair products
Xylitol can cause a release of insulin from the pancreas in dogs, which can cause seizures, vomiting, liver failure, a comatose state and possibly death.
Symptoms typically develop within 15 to 30 minutes of consumption.
If you think your dog may have eaten a product containing Xylitol, contact the Poison Pet Helpline at 855-764-7661 or your local veterinarian.