SAN ANTONIO – Spoil Mom and support San Antonio small businesses. Whichever gifts you’re looking for, you can find them at a local shop, and nearly all of them can be found at the Huebner Oaks Farmers Market on Saturdays.
Local artist Stephanie Peña Frost rounded up six local gift ideas:
1. Jewelry: Falcon Stone Healing Jewelry isn’t just beautiful, it uses the power of stones to promote wellness. Micro Terra transforms plants into jewelry, creating eye-catching pieces to help connect people to nature everywhere they go.
2. Breakfast in bed: Scones from The Pastry Corner and Jams from We be Jam’n are great for mom to start the day. Then she can spend the rest of the day in bed, wrapped in a comfy, chunky blanket Made by Miranda.
3. Relaxation and self-care: Mission Crafts Chandlery has scents inspired by the San Antonio missions and the signature flowers of Texas. A little aromatherapy combined with the all natural body products from In The Weeds can lead to a blissful night of rest and relaxation for mom.
4. Sweets: A basket of chocolates from Renee’s Twisted Chocolate is good enough on its own, but add these chocolates to your waffles or pancakes, or turn them into a cake or muffins and then mom will really be in for a treat. SA Cookies Come True can make you cute and clever designs for any occasion. Their Mother’s Day cookies are ready to go, just place you order.
5. Something to sip on: There are lots of Texas wines - Kuhlman Cellars offers a Mother’s Day package complete with Roses. Teas are a great alternative to coffee or alcohol. Oli Tea company is a veteran-owned company that makes olive leaf tea and herbal tea blends.
6. Flowers: The classic gift for Mom. Flowers look and smell beautiful, but instead of shopping at a big national company, try Fantastic Flowers. It’s been creating bouquets in San Antonio for 28 years and has special designs just for Mother’s Day.
Small business owner Stephanie Pena Frost, of Princess and the Monkey, loves to support her fellow local shop owners. But as much as she loves shopping, she also loves a little DIY crafting fun.
After you buy a great gift, you can also create something from the heart. Here are a few DIY gift ideas:
DIY Body Scrub
What you’ll need:
- Sugar or salt scrub
- 1 cup sugar or salt
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- 10 drops essential oils
- 1 tablespoon lavender or dried flowers
- Glass container
Mix ingredients together in large bowl, transfer to glass container and wrap with ribbon.
DIY makeup bag
What you’ll need:
- Small canvas bag
- Fabric paint
- Sponge stamps
Decorate and personalize a plain canvas to give it that personal and one-of-kind touch. Watch the video above for instructions.
Cherry Bomb Mimosa
What you’ll need for each mimosa:
- Cherry bombs
- 1/2 cup sparkling wine
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup cherry juice
- Orange slices
Pour the sparkling wine into a wine glass or champagne flute. Add cherry and pineapple juices. Drop in a couple of cherry bombs and garnish with orange slices. Happy Mother’s Day!