And just like that, another month has come and gone!
As we flip the calendar over to the month of June and say hello to the start of meteorological summer, let’s take a look back at how May tallied up in San Antonio:
- Monthly Rainfall Total: 3.92 inches
- Highest Daily Rainfall Total: 2.31 inches on May 13
- Number of Days with Measurable Rainfall: 10
For context, the average monthly rainfall total for the month of May in San Antonio is 4.40 inches. Even though we came up 0.48 inches shy of the average, this year’s monthly total was significantly better than May of 2022. Last year, only 0.86 inches of rainfall was recorded in May, which is 3.06 inches less than what we found this year!
- Coolest Temperature: 58 degrees on the morning of May 1
- Hottest Temperature: 94 degrees on the afternoon of May 5
- Number of 90-degree Days: 2 (May 5 and May 8)
- Monthly Average Temperature: 76.2 degrees (which is actually a touch cooler than the average of 76.5 degrees)
Due to the beneficial rounds of rain found throughout the month, various improvements in the drought monitor were noted.
Here’s a look at what the drought monitor looked like as of May 2:
Now, check out the drought monitor (and the improvements!) found in the drought monitor as of May 30:
You can see that the extreme and severe drought were trimmed out of our southern and western counties, respectively, throughout the month.
We still have some work to do in the drought department, though, especially when it comes to the residing extreme and exceptional drought found across portions of the Hill Country.
Looking Ahead to June
While on average May typically is one of our wettest months of the year, we can still find some decent rounds of rain in June.
- The average rainfall for the month of June in San Antonio is 3.28 inches.
- While the average high temperature at the beginning of the month is 91 degrees, the average high at the end of the month climbs to 93 degrees.
- In terms of low temperatures, the average low at the beginning of the month is 71 degrees, while the average low at the end of the month rings in at a warm 74 degrees.
We’ll see what the next month brings us!
Read more from the meteorologists on the Whatever the Weather page
Download KSAT's weather app for customized, accurate forecasts in San Antonio, South Texas or wherever you are
Find the latest forecasts, radar and alerts on the KSAT Weather Authority page