Watch for signs of mushroom poisoning in dogs following heavy rain


SAN ANTONIO – Rainy weather leads to an increase of mushrooms on the ground and heavy rains usually leave Fido feeling cooped up inside the house and ready for a long walk.

The seemingly harmless mushrooms found along greenbelts and paths could be detrimental to your dog's health, however, and it’s important to be vigilant when walking your dog due to the increase of mushrooms.

Mushroom poisoning occurs as a result of ingesting toxic mushrooms, which is a common hazard for dogs because of the amount of time they spend outdoors or in wooded areas, according to PetMD.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning differ depending on the type of mushroom ingested and can vary by each dog.

The following are symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs:

Abdominal pain
Yellowing of the skin
Uncoordinated movements
Excessive drooling

If you see your pet ingest a mushroom, try to salvage a piece of the mushroom to take to the vet with you.

It could help in determining whether or not the mushroom is poisonous.

About the Author: