Mexican Mafia 'Enforcer' indicted on weapons charge

Ruben Reyes, 36, confessed to 3 killings

SAN ANTONIO – A man who reportedly confessed to killing three fellow members of the Texas Mexican Mafia has been indicted on a federal weapons and racketeering charge.

Ruben Reyes, 36, is charged with using and discharging a firearm, during and in relation to a crime of violence, specifically, violent crimes in aid of racketeering activity.

Reyes admitted to killing Mark Anthony "Lefty" Bernal, Carlos "Worm" Chapa and Johnny "Smiley" Solis Jan. 13, 2014. He made the confession to San Antonio police Nov. 14, five days after he survived an apparent "hit" at his home.

A criminal complaint said, "Reyes was the Lieutenant of Lieutenants for the TMM at the time and received the order to have the former General (Chapa), Captain (Bernal) and Lieutenant of Lieutenants (Solis) killed and to make sure their bodies were not located because of their knowledge of the TMM daily operations and criminal activity."

To read the full criminal complaint, click here.

Authorities said Reyes took them to some property in Pearsall where the victims had been buried.

In Dec. 2013, investigators notified Bernal they had received information about a threat against his life.

"The TMM was accusing Chapa, Bernal and Solis of mishandling approximately $60,000 dollars (in drug distribution money) and making poor decisions in regards to the TMM daily operations," the complaint said.

Reyes is being jailed without bond. He is scheduled to be arraigned Dec. 29.

If convicted, Reyes faces a minimum of 10 years in prison.

San Antonio police are also investigating whether Reyes was involved in dozens of other crimes, including the May murder of Balcones Heights police officer Julian Pesina.

Alfred Cardona, 36, Jerry Idrogo, 33, and Jesse Santibanez, 25, are charged with that murder.

Authorities have said Pesina's name was found in a roster of people associated with the TMM. A criminal complaint said the men arranged to meet Pesina outside the tattoo shop he owned, then shot him.