Man dies after weekend gas station altercation, shooter charged

George Martinez, 32, shot Sunday night

SAN ANTONIOORIGINAL STORY: The victim of a violent confrontation at a gas station died Tuesday from his injuries. George Martinez, 32, was shot in the neck Sunday night after confronting a driver in a gas station parking lot.

Martinez and David Lilburn Johnson got in an argument after police said Johnson nearly backed his truck into a child who was with Martinez.

Johnson, 62, told police Martinez had confronted him and said the victim lunged at him through the passenger window. Johnson claimed the shooting was self-defense.

Hours after Martinez’s death, his girlfriend, Holly Darkentell, spoke for the first time about that night.

Darkentell said her boyfriend had been standing up for her little girl. She also said she wishes he would have walked away from the argument.

"This man took him away from me, took away our life together," Darkentell said.

She said Martinez’s boss called her Tuesday to let her know about his death. After a year of dating, she said, they had already been talking about marriage and a baby.

Darkentell said on Sunday they had stopped at the Valero on Interstate 35 and Starlight Terrace for snacks and gas. She and Martinez were bringing her 8- and 10-year-old girls to the movies, and she said that Johnson almost hit her daughter while backing up his truck from a parking spot.


Johnson agreed the girl was there and said he had been alerted by a backup sensor, according to the affidavit. In the report, police said Martinez "aggressively" approached the window of the truck and began yelling.

Johnson warned Martinez he had a gun, and he told police the father of three boys lunged at him through the rolled-down passenger side window.

Darkentell said she was at the gas pump when she heard a single pop.

"I see blood just dripping. I run to him. I grabbed him. I held him. I told him ‘Baby don't go. You can't leave me here,’" she said.

Darkentell said her daughter saw the exchange and, according to her daughter, Martinez did not lunge at Johnson.

"I asked him, ‘Why did you shoot my boyfriend? Why? Why?’" Darkentell said.

Johnson remained at the scene and waited for police to arrive.

"He didn't have to do this. He didn't have to pull the gun There was no reason for it," said Darkentell.

Martinez was not armed, and Johnson remains in the Bexar County jail on a $75,000 bond.

Johnson has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, but the charge could be upgraded now that Martinez has died of his injuries.


Martinez's wife on Wednesday released this statement to KSAT 12 News: "I Vanessa Martinez the spouse of George Joseph Martinez "of 16 years," would like to correct the false information that was made by a non related person to the Martinez Family. We would like to inform the public that my husband George did not pass away yesterday as previously reported. My Husband fought for his life and passed away this morning January 11th at 1:22am. While I was at his bed side. I, My 3 children, and the Martinez family would appreciate the respect of privacy during our time of loss and grief for our loved one."