Police standoff on South Side ends peacefully; man taken into custody

Incident began around 10:40 p.m. Tuesday near Ada St., S. New Braunfels Ave.

San Antonio police Chief William McManus said a man who triggered a police standoff was safely taken into custody.


San Antonio police Chief William McManus said a man who triggered a police standoff was safely taken into custody.

Law enforcement agencies negotiated with the 42-year old man for almost 11 hours. At one point, negotiators offered him cigarettes and a breakfast taco.

Police eventually used a “sage round,” which McManus said is less than lethal. Once the man was hit, he was grabbed and taken into custody.

McManus said his officers have had previous encounters with the man pertaining to mental health issues.

‘We have emergency-detained him in the past at least a few times,” he said.

McManus said volatile situations require patience and conversation, which he believes led to the peaceful resolution.

“It’s always a good feeling when these end the way they do right now without anyone getting injured. That’s our main goal,” he said.

The man’s name has not been released. He is set to undergo a psychological evaluation.

No other injuries were reported.


San Antonio police and SWAT are involved in a standoff with an armed man on the city’s South Side Wednesday morning.

Officers were called around 10:40 p.m. Tuesday to Ada Street and South New Braunfels Avenue, just east of Interstate 37 after receiving word of a man with a gun.

According to police, customers at an H-E-B told officers that the man was walking around the parking lot with a gun, threatening to shoot himself.

Police said they have the man, who is believed to be in his 40s, contained to an area next to a building and negotiators are trying to get the man to drop the gun. He has not been identified.

SAPD said they have had previous encounters with the man, citing several mental health related calls.

Image of scene at standoff of city's South Side. (KSAT)

The standoff has been ongoing for more than eight hours, police said. There have been no reports of injuries.

KSAT12 has a crew at the scene.

This is a developing story. Stay with KSAT12 both online and on-air for more information.

About the Authors:

Steven Cavazos is a traffic anchor and general assignments reporter on weekday mornings at KSAT 12. He is also part of the Solutionaries team. He has deep South Texas roots: born and raised in the Rio Grande Valley, graduated from the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and worked in Harlingen and Corpus Christi before coming to KSAT 12 in 2019.

Ben Spicer is a digital journalist who works the early morning shift for KSAT.