SAN ANTONIO - Residents in some areas of San Antonio can officially sign up for Google Fiber's internet service starting on Tuesday, the company announced.
San Antonians that are living near Westover Hills and around West End Park on the near West Side have until Dec. 21 to sign up for the service.
Google Fiber's Fiber 1000 offers up to 1,000 megabits per second of high-speed symmetrical broadband.
Customers in eligible areas that sign up for Google Fiber will pay $55 a month for service.
“The spirit of Google Fiber has always been one of innovation - and we’re honoring that right here in San Antonio,” said Tyler Wallis, Google Fiber’s San Antonio City Manager in a press release. “From the way we’re building the Fiber network to our product line-up, we’re simplifying our processes to give our customers what they’ve told us they want - affordable, super fast Internet without any unnecessary complications.”
Google Fiber is now available to 12 metro areas across the United States.
“Access to high-speed broadband is a critical piece of creating an economically viable city,” said San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg. “I am pleased to see increased investment in high-speed internet throughout the community. This infrastructure is crucial to enhanced economic development and educational opportunities for San Antonians.”
Google Fiber representatives will be at various locations Tuesday to answer questions. The locations and times are listed below:
- 7:30-9:30 a.m. at Shipley Do-nuts, 1134 Culebra Rd.
- 7:30-9:30 a.m. at Rosella Coffee Company, 203 E. Jones Ave.
- 8:30-10:30 a.m. at Rosella at the Rand, 114 E. Houston St. (media availability)
- 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. at the Frank Garrett Community Center, 1226 NW 18th St
- 2-5 p.m. at H-E-B, 2130 Culebra Rd. (media availability)
- 2-5 p.m. at H-E-B, 9255 FM 471 West
- 4-6 p.m. at Woodlawn Snacks, 947 Cincinnati Ave.
- 8-10 p.m. at Steel City Pops, 812 S. Alamo St., Suite 101
Those interested can see if their home is eligible for Google Fiber and can sign up for the service by clicking here.
Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.