Tune into KSAT12 Saturday, May 8 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. to watch Global Citizen’s “VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World,” a global broadcast and streaming special that aims to inspire vaccine confidence worldwide and help get the COVID-19 vaccines to everyone, everywhere.
The concert will be hosted by Selena Gomez and performances will be made by Jennifer Lopez, Eddie Vedder, Foo Fighters, J Balvin and H.E.R.
Appearances will be made by Ben Affleck, Chrissy Teigen, David Letterman, Gayle King, Jimmy Kimmel, Olivia Munn, Sean Penn and Nomzamo Mbath.
During the special, Global Citizen will call on philanthropists and corporations to donate enough “dollars-for-doses” to vaccinate more than 27 million heroic health workers that are serving on the global frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic every day. The special will also encourage global development advocates and changemakers to call on world leaders to prioritize the equitable distribution of COVID-19 vaccines for everyone, everywhere.
“I’m honored to be hosting ‘VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World’,” said Selena Gomez. “This is a historic moment to encourage people around the world to take the COVID-19 vaccine when it becomes available to them, call on world leaders to share vaccine doses equitably and to bring people together for a night of music in a way that hasn’t felt possible in the past year. I can’t wait to be a part of it.”
As the exclusive global streaming partner, YouTube will stream an extended version of “VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World” on the Global Citizen channel for a full run-time of 90 minutes, which will include additional performances and appearances by NCT 127 and YouTube creators Daniel El Travieso, Kati Morton, ShootforLove, Thembe Mahlaba and The Try Guys.
As part of “VAX LIVE,” Global Citizen is campaigning to support the Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator initiative – including COVAX – a vaccine-sharing program co-led by the World Health Organization (WHO), to ensure that low-income countries can access COVID-19 vaccines. “VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World” aims to inspire Global Citizens to call on governments, asking them to pledge $22.1 billion, the outstanding balance needed by the ACT-Accelerator to get 2 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses, tests and treatments to the world’s poorest countries by the end of 2021.
“VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World” is part of Global Citizen’s overall 2021 Recovery Plan for the World, a yearlong campaign and series of events that aims to help end COVID-19 for all, end the hunger crisis, resume learning everywhere, protect the planet and advance equity for all.
To achieve global vaccine access and confidence, “VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World” aims to do the following:
- Increase donations of vaccine doses to low-income nations, build vaccine confidence and promote vaccine uptake, helping to ensure access for everyone, everywhere.
- Call on philanthropists and corporations to donate enough “dollars-for-doses” to help vaccinate the more than 27 million heroic health workers that are on the front lines, in the poorest countries that need access to vaccines most;
- Call on governments, corporations and philanthropists to invest an additional $22.1 billion to get 2 billion vaccine doses and other medical tools to the poorest countries.
- Disseminate financial commitments to regional responders supporting health, education, hunger, equity and climate efforts.
- Encourage pharmaceutical companies to commit to selling COVID-19 vaccines at a production price – earning profits at the expense of human lives will impede progress, and build vaccine confidence by educating and empowering audiences to get answers to their top questions about the COVID-19 vaccines.
Global Citizen today is also launching VAX BECAUSE to drive candid conversations about the COVID-19 pandemic, provide people with ranging perspectives about vaccine confidence, and arm people with facts about personal health and immunization options.
With the aim of ensuring that individuals, families and communities can make the right decisions for themselves, the campaign will live on a multimedia HUB, where visitors can both ask questions they have about the vaccine, and find fact-based information about the coronavirus epidemic. Global Citizens are encouraged to ask questions and find answers here.
To learn more about “VAX LIVE: The Concert to Reunite the World,” click here.
KSAT Community operates in partnership with University Health, Energy Transfer and Randolph-Brooks Federal Credit Union.