Mother of murdered man thanks police, God after second arrest in case

Kenton Haynes, Savawn Kyle charged in Renard Smith murder

SAN ANTONIO – A mother whose son was killed last fall is giving thanks to God and the San Antonio police officers that found and arrested the two suspects in her son’s death.

Renard Smith, 29, was shot in the head on Oct. 25 at a convenience store near the intersection of Midcrown Drive and Walzem Road. Police say Savawn Kyle, 24, and Kenton Haynes, 22, robbed and killed him.

Kyle was charged on March 3, and Haynes was arrested Wednesday. Police spokesman Sgt. Doug Greene said unless new evidence comes to light, Hayne and Kyle are the two main suspects.

 "God is good, and they're going to be prosecuted in Jesus's name," said Smith's mother on Thursday, "I believe that, and I'm going to take that."

The loss of her son hit Smith hard.

"My mind wanders, and I'm glad I got a job so I can keep my mind off of it. He going to always be there, but justice, God is good," she said.

Justice for her came in the form of Kyle's and Haynes' arrests. The Lone Star Fugitive Task Force picked up Kyle. Haynes was arrested after going to the jail to pick up some of his property from a previous arrest.

Though a Bexar County Sheriff’s Office civilian employee allegedly tipped Haynes off about the warrant and advised him to get out of the building, deputies were still able to chase him down and arrest him a few blocks from the jail.

Speaking with KSAT on Thursday, Smith gushed over the SAPD's work.

"I wish I could thank every police that was involved in it. I appreciate y'all. I really do. I appreciate y'all for getting ‘em," Smith said. "It didn't even take long, because usually they take years for things like this to happen. It happened four months later. Thank you, Jesus."

According to court documents, surveillance footage caught Haynes and Kyle arriving at the convenience store together the night of the murder.

According to his arrest affidavit, Haynes led Smith over to where Kyle was waiting. That's where a witness told police they saw Kyle shoot Smith in the back of the head and go through his pockets.

The witness had also seen Smith showing off a lot of cash earlier.

“For him to kill my child behind some money, I want justice," Smith said.

Haynes is still behind bars, though Kyle is out on bond.

"We can't do nothing about that, but he's going down," Smith said.

About the Author: