Affidavit: Father now says Sherin choked on milk, admitted to removing her body from home

RICHARDSON, Texas – The Richardson Police Department arrested Wesley Mathews on Monday after authorities discovered a child's body while searching for Mathews' 3-year-old adopted daughter, Sherin.

Richardson PD announced Mathews was re-arrested on Monday and charged with injury to a child, a first-degree felony punishable by life or from 5-to-99 years in prison. 

Police said Mathews arrived at the Richardson Police Station with his attorney and asked to speak with detectives. Authorities said he gave an "alternate statement of events from those which he had given previously, regarding the disappearance of Sherin."

Wesley reportedly told investigators Sherin choked on milk while being fed around 3 a.m., changing his initial story that his adoptive daughter refused to drink the milk and that he put her outside near a tree as punishment.

In his new story, Wesley said Sherin eventually began drinking the milk and he "physically assisted" Sherin in drinking, then she began to choke on the milk. He said the child's breathing slowed and eventually he felt no pulse and believed the girl had died.

He also reportedly admitted to removing Sherin's body from the home.

Sergeant Kevin Perlich said there may be more arrests in the case and authorities may modify Wesley's charges. He also said Sherin's mother has cooperated with efforts to identify the body, but has not cooperated with authorities in any other way.

Sherin Mathews Case Update 10/23/17 This afternoon, Wesley Mathews was arrested and charged with Injury to a Child (TPC...

Posted by Richardson Police Department on Monday, October 23, 2017

Mathews is behind bars at the Richardson City Jail on a $1,000,000 bond.

Mathews was previously charged with abandoning or endangering a child on Oct. 7, the day of Sherin's disappearance, and was later released on bond.

Sherin's adoptive parents were in court on Monday for a custody hearing for their 4-year-old biological daughter. The 4-year-old was placed in foster care earlier this month after Sherin's disappearance.

Richardson PD said they were still waiting for the Medical Examiner to positively identify the body found in a culvert half a mile from the Mathews' home, but said the body was "most likely" Sherin.

An AMBER Alert was issued for Sherin on Oct. 7, but was discontinued after authorities failed to find any leads in the investigation.

According to an affidavit from Wesley's Oct. 7 charge, he told investigators he left his daughter in a backyard alley around 3 a.m. as a form of punishment for not drinking milk and when he returned 15 minutes later, the girl was gone.