Family loses home, dog and puppies in space heater fire

Fire was called in around 3 a.m. in 8400 block of Garnett Fire

The fire was called in around 3 a.m. in the 8400 block of Garnett Avenue, not far from Pleasanton Road on the city’s South Side.

SAN ANTONIO – A dog and her puppies are dead and a family is displaced after a space heater fire ripped through a duplex early Tuesday morning.

The fire was called in around 3 a.m. in the 8400 block of Garnett Avenue, not far from Pleasanton Road on the city’s South Side.

Firefighters said the space heater was left in the shed next to the duplex specifically for the dog and her puppies. The fire sparked and then spread to the duplex, forcing the family of three to evacuate. The family was not hurt.

Authorities say the shed is a total loss.

The family has been displaced from their home and Red Cross has been notified. Firefighters say the home sustained roughly $65,000 to $70,000 worth of damage.


About the Authors:

Sarah Acosta is a weekend Good Morning San Antonio anchor and a general assignments reporter at KSAT12. She joined the news team in April 2018 as a morning reporter for GMSA and is a native South Texan.

Ben Spicer is a digital journalist who works the early morning shift for KSAT.