SAN ANTONIO – The Alebrijes of Mexico have a history as colorful as the art itself.
In this Day of the Dead story, we trace the roots of these wooden figurines and their cultural significance in Mexico.
Find more Day of the Dead stories on KSAT.com:
- Altars honor San Antonio Latino service members who died in military service
- Story behind the man who brought the Calavera to life in San Antonio
- Symbolism behind Calavera in Day of the Dead traditions
- How two traditions merged to create Day of the Dead
- Ancient origins of Day of the Dead
- Meaning behind marigold flowers on Day of the Dead
- Story behind Mexican artist who inspired ‘La Calavera Catrina’
- Visit KSAT.com’s Day of the Dead section to learn more about holiday