Fire started in fireplace damages Northwest Side duplex, fire officials say

Fire called in around 2:30 a.m. in 6700 block of Hickory Springs Drive

An attempt to stay warm likely caused a fire in a Northwest Side duplex early Thursday morning, San Antonio fire officials said.

SAN ANTONIO – An attempt to stay warm likely caused a fire in a Northwest Side duplex early Thursday morning, San Antonio fire officials said.

The fire was called in around 2:30 a.m. at a duplex in the 6700 block of Hickory Springs Drive, not far from Babcock Road and DeZavala Road.

Firefighters said a woman inside the home started a fire in the fireplace late Wednesday night and woke to find the house on fire.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire and keep the fire from spreading to the other side of the duplex. There were no reports of injuries.

A damage estimate has not been released.


About the Authors:

Ben Spicer is a digital journalist who works the early morning shift for KSAT.

Katrina Webber joined KSAT 11 in December 2009. She reports for Good Morning San Antonio. Katrina was born and raised in Queens, NY, but after living in Gulf Coast states for the past decade, she feels right at home in Texas. It's not unusual to find her singing karaoke or leading a song with her church choir when she's not on-air.