SAN ANTONIO – Get election results on KSAT’s homepage and the Vote 2022 page. Be the first to know by downloading our news app or signing up for breaking news email alerts.
Several school districts in the San Antonio area are making Election Day a holiday to prioritize student safety.
School campuses are traditionally used as polling locations, which would mean an onslaught of extra people would be on the campuses at the same time as students.
With school shootings like the one in Uvalde taking center stage in the news over the summer, some districts are hesitant to keep students in school while voters come to cast their ballots.
“The decision to make Election Day a student and teacher holiday was made with the security and safety of our students, staff and visitors in mind,” North East Independent School District officials said.
Here is a list of the districts that are making the Nov. 8 Election Day a holiday for students:
- East Central ISD - Student and Teacher Holiday
- Harlandale - - Student Holiday/Teacher Inservice
- Judson ISD - Student Holiday/Staff Development
- North East ISD - Student and Teacher Holiday
- Northside ISD - Student Holiday/Staff Development
- South San ISD - Student and Teacher Holiday
- Southwest ISD - Student Holiday/Staff Workday