Several collegiate and professional sporting leagues have canceled play in the wake of the outbreak of the new coronavirus, which is also known as COVID-19. Here is a running list. This will be updated as we receive more information.
UPDATE: The Texas UIL has suspended the remainder of the Boys State Basketball Tournament at the Alamodome. A statement reads the tournament is suspended until further notice and refunds are available for fans. More information here.
- The University of the Incarnate Word said it will suspend all athletics activities until at least March 23. All Southland Conference spring sports are suspended until March 30. Up-to-date information from UIW will be provided here.
- The NCAA has canceled its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments.
- The MLB has suspended its spring training and delayed opening day by at least two weeks.
- The PGA TOUR will currently proceed as scheduled, but will do so without fans. This policy starts at THE PLAYERS Championship Friday and continues through the Valero Texas Open in San Antonio.
- The United Soccer League announced today the decision to suspend the 2020 season for a minimum of 30 days. San Antonio FC competes in the USL.
- Trinity University has announced athletics will end its spring season on March 23rd. All home and away athletics events on or after March 23 are cancelled for the remainder of the spring semester, including Tiger-hosted tournaments.
- Effective immediately, all spring sport competition for Conference USA institutions is suspended until further notice. UTSA competes in CUSA.
- Big 12 has reportedly canceled its men’s and women’s tournaments in Kansas City. The Texas Longhorns and Texas Tech teams were set to play, but were taken off the court.
- The Southeastern Conference announced the cancellation of the remainder of the 2020 Men’s Basketball Tournament in Nashville. Texas A&M was set to participate.
- The Sun Belt Conference announced it has canceled its remaining men’s and women’s tournament games in New Orleans. Texas State men’s team was set to participate.
- The ACC, AAC and BIG 10 tournaments have been canceled.
- Major League Soccer suspends season for 30 days.
- The NBA has temporarily suspended games for the 2020 season.
- The NHL is suspending its season indefinitely because of COVID-19.