Three Bexar County voting centers close prior to July 14 primary runoff election

Elections administer said three teams declined to serve due to the COVID-19 pandemic

In this Friday, Feb. 28, 2020 photo, pedestrians pass signs near a polling site in San Antonio. California and Texas are the most populous states in the nation and the biggest delegate prizes for the candidates, yet they also present a stark contrast in voting laws. (AP Photo/Eric Gay) (Eric Gay, Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

SAN ANTONIO – The Bexar County Elections Department announced on Monday that officials opted to close three voting center locations for the July 14 primary runoff election.

In a statement, Bexar County elections officials said they closed the election centers due to challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“As of today, 214 vote centers will be open tomorrow, rather than the 217 publicized sites, for in-person voting from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm,” election officials said in a statement. “The reason for the three closures is due to the many challenges of the current COVID-19 pandemic. Some of the assigned election teams at the locations made the decision not to serve, because of this dangerous virus.”

Bexar County Elections Administrator Jacquelyn Callanen said the county had three teams decline to serve due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Through the challenges of COVID 19, we have had some wonderful civic-minded election teams step up to serve our County voters,” Callanen said. “We are proud of their courage during this very difficult time. Today, we had three teams decline to serve, because of the COVID-19 virus.  Please keep in mind that the average judge’s age is 72, so we certainly understand their concerns.”

Callanen said, while masks are not mandatory to vote, the community can help slow the spread of the virus by wearing masks at voting centers and following social distancing protocols.

“One of the best things our wonderful voters in Bexar County can do is to wear a mask when they cast their ballot, as well as socially distance,” Callanen said. “We understand that although the masks are not mandatory to vote, it would be a way of showing respect for our judges and election personnel.”

The closure of the three election sites happened after the complete list of 217 sites was already published by the county.

Here are the three voting centers, that will not be open tomorrow, bringing the total number of vote centers down to 214:

• Cameron Elementary — Voters will be redirected through signage at Cameron to go to Claude Black Community Center, 2805 E. Commerce, or Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston,.
  • Storm Elementary — Voters will be redirected to Sarah King Elementary, 1001 Ceralvo Street.
  • Corbett Middle School — Voters will be redirected to Universal City Library, 100 Northview Drive.

Signage will be posted at the closed polling locations and on the county’s website www.bexar.org/elections.