SAN ANTONIO – Bet you didn’t think you’d get a chance to drive through the snow this holiday season in San Antonio, did you?
Well, you can from 3-5 p.m. on Saturday at a free holiday drive-thru event hosted by Hemisfair and Centro San Antonio.
This isn’t the kind of snow that comes from mother nature, by the way. There’s no chance of snow in the KSAT weather authority forecast.
Centro, courtesy of Mireles Ice, is bringing 110,400 pounds of ice to the event to create the magic of man-made snow, according to event officials.
“We wanted to provide a free experience for the community to celebrate the holidays in a safe and socially distant way,” said Andres Andujar, Hemisfair CEO. “This inclusive celebration will offer something for everyone, whether you want a selfie with Santa from the safety of your vehicle or to witness the wonder of the festival of lights.”
In addition to socially distanced Santa selfies there will be carolers from the American Caroling Company, decorations, reindeer and other animals, a drum circle, music and jumping elves.
The first 100 cars in line will receive a free bag of kettle corn.
Here’s what organizers want you to know before you head to the event:
- Entrance to the Holiday Drive-Thru is on Hemisfair Blvd and East Cesar E. Chavez Blvd. It’s best to plug 623 Hemisfair Blvd into your maps app (look for the tall, colorful mural).
- You must remain in your vehicle throughout the duration of the drive-thru. This is especially important so that we do not violate the city’s gathering rules.
- We do not recommend arriving more than 30 minutes beforehand, as there are no restrooms on the route and you may not exit your vehicle. Take a potty break before you leave the house!
- Once inside Hemisfair, the activations take place along E. Nueva Street. Expect to be on the route for 15-20 minutes depending on traffic. The route will end at E. Nueva and S. Alamo Street.
- You can pause to take selfies with Santa, the elves, reindeer and carolers from inside your vehicle through the window. They will each be staged at an appropriate distance for the safety of all.
- Centro Ambassadors will help keep traffic moving in order to ensure as many families as possible have a chance to experience this free event. Please be kind 💙
- Weather: The forecast calls for rain tomorrow, which is not good for the snow, animals or performers. We will post an update on social media by 11 a.m. to notify you whether the event will continue as planned. Keep your fingers crossed! We really want to celebrate with you!
For more information go to hemisfair.org/events.