‘I went into work, shaking and crying’: Witnesses recall seeing chase involving deputies end in 3 vehicle crash

Teen driver arrested after crashing suspected stolen SUV

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS – A teenager accused of driving a stolen SUV and trying to get away from Bexar County sheriff’s deputies caused a three-vehicle crash in Live Oak, according to Bexar County Sheriff’s Office spokesman.

No one suffered any serious injuries, but people in the two other vehicles as well as the suspect were checked out at the scene by paramedics.

After deputies took teen into custody, EMS workers tended to his minor injuries.
After deputies took teen into custody, EMS workers tended to his minor injuries. (KSAT 12 News)

BCSO Deputy Johnny Garcia said the SUV had been reported stolen in Kirby early Thursday morning.

Kirby police were able to locate the vehicle due to some sort of tracking device, according to a deputy at the scene.

However, deputies were asked to help when the truck left the Kirby city limits.

Garcia said deputies attempted to stop the SUV in the area of Walzem Road and FM 78, but the driver kept going.

Deputies gave chase with the San Antonio Police Department’s EAGLE helicopter keeping an eye on things from the sky.

Eventually, deputies made their way into Live Oak where the SUV crashed into two others.

“He’s on the wrong lane and I’m, like, ‘Oh my God!’ Boom! He slams right into that car and then the black one slams into that one,” said Monica DeHoyos, describing the scene that unfolded later in Live Oak.

DeHoyos was on her way to work on Toepperwein Road near Sage Oak when she saw the crash just before 8 a.m.

“I just saw glass and everything, but I was able to stop enough. Thank God for my brakes,” she said. “As soon as it hit, boom, on impact, I just saw some jerk run that way.”

Deputies say the driver, who is about 13 or 14 years old, got out of the crashed vehicle and ran away. They managed to track him down a short time later in a nearby neighborhood.

After getting cleared by paramedics, the other drivers were left to deal with the mess.

“I went into work, shaking and crying. I was, like, ‘That could’ve been me,” DeHoyos said of her close call. “That was crazy. You gotta be careful when you’re on your way to work.”

About the Authors: