89-year-old Bexar County Jail inmate dies, marking second inmate death in 24 hours

The inmate’s death is believed to be connected to preexisting medical conditions

SAN ANTONIO – An 89-year-old inmate at the Bexar County Jail is dead. His death has been preliminarily ruled as related to pre-existing medical conditions, the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office said Monday.

According to the Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office, George Holland died Monday night.

A detention deputy was conducting face-to-face observation checks in the evening when he noticed him unresponsive, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Holland was breathing when the detention deputy initiated a medical emergency at the jail and called for additional medical staff assistance, the Sheriff’s Office said. He was transported to the jail’s medical wing to be evaluated and then taken to an area hospital in an “alert” state.

“While at the hospital, around 8:20 p.m., the inmate was pronounced deceased by hospital staff,” the Sheriff’s Office said.

Holland was booked into the Bexar County Jail on Sept. 10 on a murder charge with a bond of $50,000, the Sheriff’s Office said.

The Sheriff’s Office said the Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office would make the final determinations on the specifics of his death.

The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office Internal Affairs Unit, Public Integrity Unit, and the Criminal Investigations Division are investigating the inmate’s death, The Sheriff’s Office said.

Earlier on Monday, a 43-year-old inmate at the jail was found dead and also was believed to have suffered a medical episode related to a pre-existing condition.

Read also:

Man jailed on trespassing charge dies in Bexar County Jail

Bexar County Jail inmate rushed to hospital following suicide attempt

Medical Examiner: Bexar County Jail inmate died of methamphetamine overdose