Man indicted on graffiti charges, accused of defacing the Alamo Cenotaph
SAN ANTONIO – A man accused of defacing the Alamo Cenotaph last year has been formally charged in an indictment by a Bexar County grand jury. Noah Benjamin Escamilla, who was 25 years old when the alleged crime was committed on May 29, 2020, is accused of causing between $2,500 and $30,000 worth of damage to the Cenotaph, according to the Bexar County District Attorney’s office. This case is being prosecuted by the Criminal Trial Division in the 290th District Court. Graffiti found in multiple places downtown, including cenotaph in Alamo PlazaThe Cenotaph was just one of several structures marked with graffitied messages against white supremacy and police on the same night. The indictment is just for the graffiti found on the Cenotaph.
San Antonio City Council discusses uncertain future of Alamo Plan
SAN ANTONIO – With the Cenotaph relocation apparently off the table, San Antonio City Council members discussed options forward for the $400 million Alamo Plan. With the monument’s relocation a “crucial” part of the overall plan, city staff members say plans or timelines need to be changed. “We’re going to have to redo redesign because that Cenotaph is not moving,” City Manager Erik Walsh told council members. In its entirety, the Alamo Plan includes repairs to original structures, a redesign of the plaza and a museum. Following the nearly two-hour public discussion, council members spent close to another hour in a closed executive session but took no official action.
British queen offers condolences to Eta storm victims
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II stands on the balcolny of the Foreign Office, during the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph, in Whitehall, London, Sunday Nov. 8, 2020. (Aaron Chown/Pool Photo via AP)LONDON – Queen Elizabeth II on Monday sent her condolences to people in Mexico and Central America affected by “the tragic loss of life and destruction” caused by the devastating storm Eta. In a message to leaders in Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama and Nicaragua, the queen lamented the destruction caused by the storm. “Prince Philip and I were deeply saddened by the tragic loss of life,'' caused by the storm, the queen's message said. Official death tolls put the number of dead at least 68 people, but hundreds more are missing.
UK honors war dead in scaled-back Remembrance Sunday service
(Joe Giddens/PA via AP)LONDON – In a scaled-back service, Queen Elizabeth II led tributes Sunday to those from the U.K. and the Commonwealth who perished in wartime, as most veterans paid their respects at home as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. The 94-year-old monarch looked on from a balcony at a government building above the Cenotaph on Whitehall in central London on the 100th year anniversary of the memorial's installation following the conclusion of World War I. Following a two-minute silence at 11 a.m., Prince Charles laid a wreath on the queen's behalf during the Remembrance Sunday commemoration. Though the service was very different, people up and down the land took time out to honor the war dead. “We need to be conscious of those risks and that’s why remembrance matters,” he added.
Texas Historical Commission blocks effort to move Cenotaph
SAN ANTONIO – The Texas Historical Commission blocked a controversial plan to move the Cenotaph following a marathon meeting Tuesday night. “Unfortunately, after tonight’s disappointing vote to deny the restoration and relocation of the Cenotaph, the Alamo Master Plan remains a plan without a project. Following the permit’s rejection, Trevino told reporters the plan had gone through many boards and commissions. For opponents of moving the Cenotaph, the vote was a reason to celebrate. Dan Patrick, a high-profile opponent of moving the Cenotaph, told the commissioners the state could pay for the entire project, provided the plan be adjusted to leave the Cenotaph in place.
Far-right activists protest in London despite warnings
British police officers, left, scuffle with members of far-right groups protesting against a Black Lives Matter demonstration, in central London, Saturday, June 13, 2020. British police have imposed strict restrictions on groups planning to protest in London Saturday in a bid to avoid violent clashes between protesters from the Black Lives Matter movement, as well as far-right groups. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)LONDON Hundreds of far-right activists gathered to demonstrate in central London's Parliament Square Saturday, despite strict police restrictions and warnings to stay home to contain the coronavirus. Officials put protective panels around the monuments amid fears that far-right activists would seek confrontations with anti-racism protesters under the guise of protecting statues. In London, Churchills statue was daubed with the words was a racist.Police have imposed strict restrictions on Saturdays protests in a bid to avoid violent clashes.
Spray-painted messages on Alamo’s Cenotaph have people seeing red
SAN ANTONIO – Graffiti spray-painted on the Cenotaph on the grounds of The Alamo has some people seeing red. Graffiti found in multiple places downtown, including cenotaph in Alamo PlazaThe words there seemed to condemn white supremacy, capitalism and The Alamo, itself. The red paint caught his attention hours later as he paid a visit to a nearby post office. Police also found red paint spelling out an anti-policy brutality message on the sidewalk at Travis Park. As we condemn this vandalism, we salute the San Antonio Police Department (SAPD) for its swift action to investigate.
Graffiti found in multiple places downtown, including cenotaph in Alamo Plaza
Graffiti found in multiple places downtown, including cenotaph in Alamo PlazaPublished: May 29, 2020, 7:52 amA famous marble memorial at the Alamo has streaks of red paint after police say a tagger left a mark there on the cenotaph and in several other places downtown overnight.
Lt. Gov. Patrick says Alamo Master Plan ‘badly off track,’ citing plaza design, Cenotaph relocation
SAN ANTONIO – On the eve of the 184th anniversary of the fall of the Alamo, Lt. Gov. In a statement released Thursday, Patrick criticized current plans to redesign and restore the Alamo and surrounding area. Patrick criticized designs he said he had seen for the plaza and opposed the controversial, planned relocation of the Cenotaph. District 1 Councilman Roberto Trevino, whose district includes Alamo Plaza and who supports its redesign, said the entire plan went through a vigorous and transparent process. 24-25 and will discuss authorizing the dismantling, restoration and relocation of the Cenotaph.
'We’re not scared of going to jail’: Protesters make last-ditch effort to prevent Cenotaph relocation
San Antonio – Dozens of demonstrators took to Alamo Plaza on Friday in an attempt to protest the planned relocation of the Cenotaph. The monument, which was commissioned in 1936, 100 years after the Texas Revolution, bears the name of fallen Alamo defenders. Its relocation to a spot a few hundred feet south is part of a larger plan by officials to redesign Alamo Plaza. Brandon Burkhart, the president of This Is Texas Freedom Force, which organized the demonstration, said the demonstrators planned to be out for 24 hours. Why not let Texans vote on it?
San Antonio commission approves new location for Cenotaph
SAN ANTONIO – The city’s Historic and Design Review Commission approved the first phase of the Alamo Plaza redesign Wednesday after it was tabled two weeks ago. The commission voted 7-4 to approve a new location for the Cenotaph. The commission had tabled the item two weeks ago because of concerns over a pending lawsuit between a local indigenous group and the state and city. I’m all for that,” said Forrest Byas, a supporter of the redesign plan. San Antonio will soon see tangible elements restored and taking shape as the plaza follows the master plan.” District 1 Councilman Roberto TrevinoTo see a copy of the Alamo Plaza redesign that was approved by the city, click here.
Historic and Design Review Commission tables item in Alamo plan
San Antonio – The city’s Historic and Design Review Commission tabled an item involving the first phase of the Alamo Plaza redesign this week, which includes the relocation of the Cenotaph. Tap Pilam believes the Alamo site is a cemetery where American Indians are buried, so it should be officially recognized as such. “The plan includes reclaiming the site, closing Alamo Street, closing portions of Crockett Street. The HDRC is scheduled to meet on December 18 to discuss the Alamo plan once again. Click here to learn more about the Alamo Plan.