Skip to main content

City Council split on legal action against police and fire unions

Majority in favor of appealing judge's decision

SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio City Councilman Cris Medina wants the lawsuit filed against the police and fire unions to be discussed in an open meeting.

Medina, who represents District 7, said he first made that request to the council in January.

"Essentially hold off on filing a lawsuit because I felt it would lead to more tension and it would make the situation more toxic," Medina said. “And unfortunately, it seems like that's happening.”

Medina said council members Rebecca Viagran, Shirley Gonzales, Alan Warrick and Rey Lopez signed onto the request Medina submitted in January to drop the lawsuit.

According to Councilman Joe Krier’s office, the majority of the council is in favor of pursuing the suit.

"I think one of the great things about San Antonio City Council is that we don’t agree on everything,” Krier said, who supports the legal action. “I didn’t come over here to be somebody’s rubber stamp.”

The city sued the police and fire unions claiming the clause that allows them to operate without a contract for 10 years is unconstitutional.

Earlier this week, a judge did not rule in the city’s favor.

The city plans to appeal and expects the case to ultimately be decided by the Texas Supreme Court.

Though the council seems split, all are hoping for the same outcome: resolution.

"That, number one, provides great benefits to our police and fire,” Krier said. “And two, that protects the taxpayers from the road we're on right now which will lead us to financial catastrophe.”

"It's my hope that we can have continued discussion and dialogue on this and prevent it from dragging on even more," Medina said.

So far, the city has spent $169,000 pursuing legal action against the unions.

On Thursday during her travels to Washington, D.C., Mayor Ivy Taylor issued the following statement:

“City Council has given staff clear direction to challenge the constitutionality of the ‘evergreen clause’ in the expired fire and police contracts, which the unions have relied on to delay negotiations. My commitment to protect the City’s legal rights and the taxpayers’ interest remains firm: reaching a long-overdue agreement will put an end to the lawsuit. However, if the unions will return to the negotiating table, the City will not finalize our appeal. If the unions won’t take advantage of this opportunity to conclude contract negotiations, the City will continue to take every action necessary.”

Michael Helle, president of the San Antonio Police Officers Association issued the following statement in response to Taylor's.

“With all due respect to Mayor Taylor, following a total defeat in court with ultimatums to return to the table is not what most observers would consider a fair and reasonable response to the reality of the legal situation. We realize the Mayor is in a tough position, with high priced attorneys and an overpaid City Manager breathing down her neck to continue suing police officers and their families, but frankly, she has a responsibility to the taxpayers and its to stop this wasteful lawsuit that's bleeding tax dollars all over the Bexar County Courthouse. SAPOA wants a fair deal. We will work with the Mayor and City Council to find one and as the Mayor has repeatedly said, it can only happen at the negotiating table, not in the courtroom. Do not appeal your defeat. Accept the ruling of a fair and impartial third party. Make those commitments and we can get back to working on this deal.”


Loading...