SAN ANTONIO – UPDATE: The Fiesta San Antonio Commission’s press conference will be delayed by 15 minutes as a result of the news of San Antonio’s first travel-related coronavirus case. On Friday, Mayor Ron Nirenberg issued a public health emergency that prohibits large gatherings of 500 people or more.
This is a developing story. To view the livestream, click above.
We’ll know more about the status of Fiesta 2020 when the Fiesta San Antonio Commission holds a news conference Friday morning.
The news conference will held at 10 a.m. outside the Commission office on Broadway. KSAT.com will be livestreaming the event.
The topic of the news conference will be the Fiesta 2020 schedule, officials said.
As of Tuesday, San Antonio’s biggest party was still going forward, although the head of the Fiesta San Antonio Commission acknowledged Tuesday that coronavirus concerns could eventually force it to be postponed or canceled.
Speakers will include Mayor Ron Nirenberg and Fiesta San Antonio Commission President Jeanie Travis.
Fiesta San Antonio Commission Executive Director Amy Shaw told KSAT earlier this week: “I would hate to see Fiesta canceled altogether. You know, postponement would be a much better alternative."
According to a statement from the city sent to KSAT on Wednesday, city officials are monitoring the coronavirus situation and "have not advised event organizers to postpone or cancel any events. Event cancellations will only be considered and implemented if the situation calls for it and Fiesta is several weeks away.
More than 600 people have signed on in support of the cancellation, as of Thursday evening. It’s not clear whether all the people who have signed on are from the area.
Fiesta is scheduled for April 16-26.
We’re updating these articles daily:
- The latest: What you should know about coronavirus cases in Texas
- These events have been canceled, postponed, modified around San Antonio area over coronavirus
- Track live coronavirus updates with real-time map of confirmed cases, deaths
- ‘I had COVID-19 and here’s my story.’ Woman shares details of coronavirus experience
- The ultimate coronavirus guide: From preparedness and prevention to testing and treatment
- SAQ: Your questions answered about the coronavirus