Recipe makes 8 servings
1 cup(s) canned pumpkin
1 Tsp vanilla extract
2 cup(s) heavy cream, divided
1 cup(s) dark brown sugar, firmly packed, divided
5 large egg yolks
1 Tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 Tsp kosher salt
1. In a bowl, whisk pumpkin and vanilla together, cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until well chilled.
2. Place a heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Combine 1 1/2 cups cream with 3/4 cup brown sugar and heat just until small bubbles form around the perimeter of the pan.
3. Meanwhile in a separate bowl, combine egg yolks, remaining sugar and cream, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until smooth and sugar is dissolved.
4. Remove hot cream mixture from heat and gradually whisk about a 1/2 cup into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly until smooth (this is called tempering the egg yolks to prevent them from curdling).
5. Pour the tempered egg mixture into the pan with the remaining hot cream and place over medium heat. Cook several minutes, stirring constantly, until custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Do not let custard come to a boil!
6. Once mixture has thickened, pour through a sieve into a bowl then place that bowl inside a large bowl filled with ice. Stir until cool.
7. Whisk in pumpkin mixture, then pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
8. Transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container and freeze a minimum of 1 hour.
Get the nutritional information of the recipe and add ingredients to your H-E-B shopping list here!