Man hospitalized, dog dies after being pulled from burning Southeast Side home

Firefighters found the man in the thick smoke thanks to his shiny belt buckle

An 86-year-old man has been hospitalized after San Antonio firefighters pulled him out of a burning home.

SAN ANTONIO – An 86-year-old man has been hospitalized after San Antonio firefighters pulled him out of a burning home.

The fire started around 10:15 a.m. Wednesday in the 6400 block of Lakefront, after someone apparently left something cooking on the stove, SAFD Chief Charles Hood said.

A woman arrived home and was able to get her husband outside, but wasn’t able to get to her brother because of the heavy smoke.

Firefighters noticed his shiny belt buckle and found him on the floor of a bedroom.

The man was transported to Brooke Army Medical Center and is expected to be OK, Hood said.

Firefighters also pulled a dog out of the home but couldn’t revive it.

A damage estimate is not currently known.

More local news

Thunderbirds set to fly over San Antonio, squadron’s origins traced to Kelly Field

UTSA professor creating COVID-19 models says San Antonio in solid shape, but concern now is second wave

Woman cut out of SUV after colliding with big rig, San Antonio police say


About the Authors:

Rebecca Salinas has worked as a digital journalist in San Antonio for six years. Her skills include content management, engagement and reporting.

Katrina Webber joined KSAT 11 in December 2009. She reports for Good Morning San Antonio. Katrina was born and raised in Queens, NY, but after living in Gulf Coast states for the past decade, she feels right at home in Texas. It's not unusual to find her singing karaoke or leading a song with her church choir when she's not on-air.