US surpasses China, Italy in total coronavirus cases
America now at the forefront of the pandemic
The United States is now reporting more coronavirus cases than China and Italy, the European country that has been most ravaged by the COVID-19 pandemic.
As of Sunday afternoon, the U.S. has at least 137,294 coronavirus cases, according to CNN reporting that cites data from Johns Hopkins University. Italy reports at least 97,689 coronavirus cases.
China still has the highest global number of reported coronavirus cases with 82,122, according to the data.
Collectively, the three countries accounted for about half the global total.
Around the globe, the death toll rose to about 10,779 in Italy, 6,802 in Spain and 2,609 in France, including a 16-year-old. China reported 3,304 deaths.
The U.S. had more than 2,400 deaths, about 670 of them in New York State, the worst hotspot in the nation. Most of those victims were in New York City, where hospitals are getting swamped.
China has a population of 1.4 billion people, the United States has 331 million people, 65.2 million in France, 60.4 million in Italy and 46.7 million in Spain.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the new virus, stands for coronavirus disease 2019. The disease first appeared in late 2019 in Wuhan, China, but spread around the world in early 2020, causing the World Health Organization to declare a pandemic in March.
MORE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE FROM KSAT:
- Explained: San Antonio, Bexar County issue ‘Stay Home, Work Safe’ order. Here’s what that means.
- Map: Track COVID-19 cases in Texas, county-by-county updates
- These are all the Texas cities and counties that have issued stay-at-home orders
- What to do if you lose your job
- Map: Where San Antonio-area students can find free school meals during closures
- SAQ: Your coronavirus questions answered
- 8 ways to help your fellow San Antonians during coronavirus pandemic
- Track live coronavirus updates in the US, globally with real-time maps of confirmed cases, deaths
- The ultimate coronavirus guide: From preparedness and prevention to testing and treatment
- Database shows COVID-19 cases, deaths, hospital beds, vulnerable populations by county in U.S.
- ’SA Food 2 Go:’ Search nearby restaurants offering to-go, delivery around San Antonio
- Resources from World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, City of San Antonio
Copyright 2020 by CNN - All rights reserved.