SAN ANTONIO – We’re a couple of weeks into 2022 guys, how are you feeling?
The COVID-19 pandemic put a hitch in San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo’s giddyup (where the heck is that phrase even from) in 2021, but, for now, the 2022 event is currently set to go on as scheduled.
The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo will be held February 10-27 at the AT&T Center/Freeman Coliseum fairgrounds. Tickets are already on sale.
My favorite part has always been mutton bustin’. It’s a fan favorite and takes place during every rodeo performance, with the exception of the finals.
2022 San Antonio Rodeo Entertainment Lineup
- Toby Keith: 7 p.m., Thursday, February 10
- Midland: 7 p.m., Friday, February 11
- Riley Green: 1 p.m., Saturday, February 12
- Little Texas: 7 p.m., Saturday, February 12
- Wade Bowen: 1 p.m., Sunday, February 13
- Tanya Tucker: 7 p.m., Sunday, February 13
- Lady A: 7 p.m., Monday, February 14
- Brad Paisley: 7 p.m., Tuesday, February 15
- Sam Hunt: 7 p.m., Wednesday, February 16
- Ludacris: 7 p.m., Thursday, February 17
- Night Ranger: 7 p.m., Friday, February 18
- Tim McGraw: 1 p.m. and 7 p.m., Saturday, February 19
- Mickey Guyton: 1 a.m., Sunday, February 20
- Ramon Ayala y sus Bravos del Norte: 7 p.m., Sunday, February 20 (following Noche Del Vaquero)
- Little Big Town: 7 p.m., Monday, February 21
- 3 Doors Down: 7 p.m., Tuesday, February 22 (following Xtreme Bulls)
- Texas Storytellers: Kevin Fowler, Jack Ingram, Kolby Cooper, Cory Morrow and Mike Ryan: 7 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 23 (following Ranch Rodeo)
- Brett Young: 7 p.m., Thursday, February 24
- STYX: 7 p.m., Friday, February 25
- Jimmie Allen: 1 p.m., Saturday, February 26
- Ryan Bingham: 7 p.m., Saturday, February 26 (following Rodeo Finals)
Have you ever seen hundreds of longhorns take over Houston Street? Save the date to join the KSAT family as we safely celebrate our historic Texas roots and kick off the 2022 San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo with the Western Heritage Parade and Cattle Drive.
Want to party with the KSAT talent? Sign up for exclusive Insider content and get access to purchase tickets to the KSAT Korral, which will take place Feb. 5.
Longhorn cattle will fill the streets of San Antonio once again during the Western Heritage Parade and Cattle Drive on Feb. 5. If you don’t watch from the KSAT Korral (see above) you can check it out on TV.
The SA Live crew will be live from the parade with Fiona Gorostiza and Mike Osterhage hosting and Jennifer Struski and David Elder reporting along the parade route.
If you haven’t seen Elder’s Cattle Cam coverage you have to check it out. I’ve actually been down there covering it with him 4 out of the last 5 years and it’s really awesome.
The parade is free and runs through the streets of downtown San Antonio.
The Vaquero Cook-Off takes place just before the parade starts from 8 to 11 a.m. in Market Square. It’s also free to the public and there will be live music in addition to food and drinks.
Charreada is Mexico’s official sport. It originated in the 16th century, predating and inspiring, the American Rodeo.
It was popularized by the charros of Jalisco and the nation of Mexico and upholds the customs and family traditions of Mexican Horsemanship.
“The first charreadas were ranch work competitions between haciendas,” according to the San Antonio Rodeo. “The competing charros often came from families with a tradition of Charreada, and teams today are often made up from extended families who have been performing for up to five generations. It is best described as a mix of rodeo skills and dressage, with riders showing traditional competitive roping and ranch skills, but also exquisite costumes, custom tack and horse grooming and horsemanship skills.”
The Charreada for San Antonio Rodeo 2022 will take place at the Freeman Coliseum on Feb. 27.
Because it’s one of my favorite things... I’m sharing photos of adorable kids riding sheep. You’re welcome.
Fun facts: Children must be between the ages of 4 and 7 and weigh less than 55 pounds to participate in mutton bustin’. Contestants are randomly drawn from a pool of qualified entries every year. Want to sign your kiddo up? Registration generally takes place each September.
KSAT Insiders are getting a chance to spin a prize wheel on-air during SA Live and it’s loaded with cool stuff.
The prizes for February include:
- Penthouse stay at Thompson San Antonio - Riverwalk valued at $600
- Thompson spa for two valued at $800
- Thompson spa “ME DAY” valued at $500
- King room stay at Thompson San Antonio - Riverwalk valued at $375
- Landrace lunch for two valued at $85
- Landrace breakfast for two valued at $60
Additional opportunities to spin the KSAT Insider Prize Wheel will be shared throughout the year via the members-only newsletter The Roundup and social media.
Pro Tip: Visit the Thompson Hotel when there’s a full moon. The view from the top is amazing.
Know of any exciting upcoming events you think people would be interested in? Feel free to email me your ideas - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mary Claire Patton, KSAT Digital Journalist