Many people reading about and watching video of Russia’s wide-ranging attack on Ukraine may be wondering how they can help the people in Ukraine.
There are a number of organizations and charities accepting donations.
We’ve listed a few of them. You can click on the links to learn more about their missions and ways to help.
- CARE works to aid people in need around the world. The organization says it’s poised to help at least 4 Million Ukrainians with immediate aid and recovery including food, hygiene kits, and more.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross is helping people affected by the conflict and is supporting the work of the Ukrainian Red Cross.
- JDRF - Beyond Type 1 and JDRF International are working to identify ways to support the 120,000 people in the T1D community affected by the invasion, specifically ensuring they have access to insulin. Right now, one of the best ways to support the diabetes community in Ukraine appears to be donating funds to Direct Relief. For more information, click here.
- Nova Ukraine in a nonprofit that delivers humanitarian aid to Ukraine.
- People of Ukraine is a U.S.-based foundation that seeks to aid families who have suffered the challenges of war.
- Revived Soldiers Ukraine is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing aid to the people of Ukraine.
- Razom for Ukraine is a nonprofit organization supporting the people of Ukraine in their pursuit of a democratic society. In addition to accepting donations, the group is urging people to write to their representatives in Washington and express their concerns.
- Support Hospitals in Ukraine ships modern medical equipment and supplies from the U.S.
- Support independent journalism in Ukraine by donating to the Kyiv Independent.
- Ukrainian San Antonio is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve Ukrainian heritage and promote a greater understanding of Ukrainian history and culture.
- United Help Ukraine, Inc. is a nonprofit charitable organization receiving and distributing donations, food and medical supplies to Ukrainian IDPs (internally displaced people).
- UN Refugee Agency aids and protects people forced to flee their homes due to violence, conflict and persecution and provides shelter, food, water, medical care and other lifesaving assistance to refugees around the world.
- Voices of Children helps children affected by the war in eastern Ukraine.
Before you donate to any charity, it’s a good idea to check with one of the nonprofit watchdog groups such as Charity Navigator, Guidestar and Charity Watch which rate nonprofit organizations on things like:
- Financial transparency.
- How much is spent on professional fundraisers.
- How much actually goes toward helping those the charity is supposed to benefit.