SAN ANTONIO – Editor’s note: This story was published through a partnership between the STEMToyExpert.com and KSAT.
Hello parents, teachers and students!
Are you looking for something fun to do at home that has a little bit of science behind it?
Well, check out this awesome at-home demonstration that allows kids to get artistic and learn about science. Science enthusiasts and educators at the STEMToyExpert.com put this together.
Make Ivory Soap Boats
Questions to ask beforehand:
- Why are we able to carve soap so easily?
- Do you think our boats float?
- Why do you think they float or sink?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Carving tools (for kids)
- Allow your child to express their creative side by carving their boat out of soap.
- Once they have finished carving it, allow them to test them out in the bathtub. Extend their learning by discussing density with them. The soap floats because it is less dense than the water.