SAN ANTONIO – Chris Madrid's president Richard Peacock had been thinking of a way to honor the firefighters who battled the blaze that broke out at his iconic burger joint in October.
The answer came to him as he worked to find an immediate solution to being put out of the restaurant by the fire.
"After we realized how long we were going to be out of our main building we felt like we needed to figure out a way to get back in front of our customers more quickly." Peacock said. "So, the idea of the food truck -- then parking it in a location for a temporary type of operation made sense. Before we did that we wanted to take it and practice with it and we thought what better way to practice than to come and thank the men and women who came out and really helped save the building."
READ THE INITIAL REPORT: 'Restaurant is intact' after fire breaks out at Chris Madrid's burger joint
On Friday, Chris Madrid's food truck parked outside of Fire Station No. 4 located on North Saint Mary's and staff served up the joint's iconic burgers for the crew that responded to the two alarm fire that destroyed part of the restaurant.
Peacock expressed his gratitude to the firefighters for mitigating damages to the restaurant in the way they combated the fire.
"Anytime we can work with a staple of San Antonio like Chris Madrid's -- we're extremely appreciative that they wanted to come out and honor our men and women with some free lunch and cook the burgers for them," SAFD spokesperson Joe Arrington said.
Chris Madrid's announced via Facebook that it hoped to begin serving up burgers in early December, but Peacock said there were minor issues with the truck that needed to be addressed. He said he expects to announce the opening of the food truck within the next 10 days.
As for the restaurant, Peacock said he doesn't expect to open back up until summer of 2018.