KSAT Money: How to dispute errors on your credit report

SAN ANTONIO – Imagine looking at your credit report only to find a big mistake. It can be pretty scary to see. But all consumers are able to dispute those errors by reporting them quickly and correctly.

First, determine where you'll need to send your letter of dispute. You'll have to send it to the credit reporting agencies, such as Equifax, Experian or Transunion.

You'll also need to send your letter to the information provider, such as the bank, credit card company or other organization that provided inaccurate information to the credit reporting agency.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that both the credit reporting agency and information provider correct any inaccurate or incomplete information on your credit report.

Consumers with errors that have not been fixed even after disputing them in writing should file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Click here for a sample letter and detailed instructions on how to dispute errors in your credit report.

About the Author

Ivan Herrera has worked as a journalist in San Antonio since 2016. His work for KSAT 12 and KSAT.com includes covering breaking news of the day, as well as producing Q&As and content for the "South Texas Pride" and "KSAT Money" series.

Recommended Videos