Man killed while crossing highway in southeast Bexar County identified by medical examiner’s office

Police said the man was wearing dark clothing and not utilizing a crosswalk

Police lights (WDIV)

SAN ANTONIOUPDATE (8:45 a.m. Monday): The name of a person who was hit by a vehicle while crossing Highway 181 in southeast Bexar County has been released.

The Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office has identified him as Jose Roberto Gonzales, 70.

ORIGINAL: A man was struck and killed after attempting to cross the highway in southeast Bexar County late Friday night.

Around 9 p.m., the unidentified man, 70, was walking across Highway 181 near a convenience store when a vehicle traveling eastbound struck him, SAPD said.

The driver of the vehicle — who police say did not see the man due to his dark clothing — attempted to swerve and avoid hitting him.

Police said the driver stopped and tried to aid the man; however, he was pronounced dead by the medical examiner.

SAPD determined the man did not use a crosswalk.

The driver was evaluated for DWI but determined not to be intoxicated or impaired. They will not be facing any criminal charges, SAPD said.

Also on KSAT:

Mason Hickok is a digital journalist at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, reading and watching movies.