Alamo Plaza, grounds close at 6 p.m. Sunday in effort to prevent more violent protests, vandalism

Curfew lifted at 6 a.m. Monday after 39 businesses damaged, 6 arrested

SAN ANTONIO – A temporary curfew went into effect at 10 p.m. Sunday night in the central business district downtown.

Alamo plaza had been closed to the public since 6 p.m. Sunday evening.

The curfew was part of an amendment to the emergency declaration drafted after peaceful demonstrations intended to bring attention to police brutality were followed by violent riots.

So far, 39 businesses sustained damage Saturday night, and there were also 28 incidents of graffiti.

During a briefing Sunday, Mayor Ron Nirenberg gave thanks to San Antonians and city crews that took to the streets Sunday morning to help assist in the cleanup efforts downtown.

The mayor and San Antonio Police Chief William McManus also expressed empathy for frustrations over the killing of George Floyd, the unarmed black man who died when former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin appeared on video kneeling on his neck.

“To those who peacefully demonstrated yesterday, you make us proud, calling for justice to be served and with the case of George Floyd another unjust killing of a Black American in custody. We heard you. We see you," Nirenberg said.

"What happened in Minneapolis was one of the most egregious things that I’ve seen in my years of policing,” McManus said.

According to City Manager Erik Walsh, 30 city crews began at 9 a.m. working in the downtown cleanup.

A total of 28 downtown sites had graffiti, an estimated 39 businesses had windows broken and there was damage to the San Antonio River Walk, parking garages, Rivercenter Mall and city signage.

Walsh said although there was significant damages to downtown, it was “minimal to what we have seen in other cities across the country.”

If your business has suffered damage from the overnight protests, city officials urge you to call police and make a report at 210-207-SAPD.

RELATED: Peaceful protest over George Floyd’s death erupts into violence in downtown San Antonio

McManus said despite the violent protests Saturday night, he hasn’t received one report of excessive force from officers and that shows “a great deal of professionalism from the SAPD."

Six arrests have been made so far following the protests and McManus said the main agitators involved were a separate group from those that held a peaceful protest at Travis Park. The people arrested were from San Antonio, except one man from Uvalde.

McManus said the agitators had to be tear gassed to force them to leave the area.

The agitators also reportedly pushed toward the Texas Freedom Force members that were standing guard at the Alamo, throwing rocks, bottles, and bricks at police officers, according to McManus. Two police officers were hit in the head with bottles, officials said.

In total, city officials believe over 5,000 people took part in the protests on Saturday night.

As of Sunday afternoon, the majority of damage to downtown has been cleaned up.

We’ll bring more updates as they become available.


Photos show evolution of San Antonio protest over police brutality, George Floyd’s killing

At least six arrested as protests turn to destruction in downtown San Antonio

San Antonians, city crews clean up downtown destruction caused by ‘bad actors’

Gov. Abbott declares State of Disaster for all Texas counties after protests

‘The protest... is over. This is something different:’ Mayor Nirenberg on San Antonio protest

Recommended Videos