SAN ANTONIO – Editor’s note: The Texas Department of State Health Services has rescinded the data that was released on Sept. 24 citing “issues” with the data set. The corrected data will be “posted as soon as possible.”
The Texas Education Agency and state health department released data for confirmed COVID-19 cases at the public school district level for the first time on Thursday.
This is the first set of released case numbers for individual districts since the beginning of 2020-21 school year.
Here’s some of the cumulative data from San Antonio’s largest school districts for the school year so far:
- North East ISD has reported 11 total cases among students from early education to 12th grade, and a total of 14 staff cases.
- North East ISD issued this statement on the active COVID-19 cases among staff and students: “The fact that these cases are isolated and there is no significant spread within the campus shows safety protocols are working. We continue to ask everyone to be mindful and vigilant outside of school hours so we can keep our rate of infection low.”
- Northside ISD has reported 9 total cases among students from early education to 12th grade, and a total of 35 staff cases.
- Northside ISD issued this statement on the active COVID-19 cases among staff and students: “Northside ISD provides a weekly update to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and also publishes this information to our district website. That information can be found at: https://www.nisd.net/schools/health. The information includes current active COVID cases for staff and students and is updated every Tuesday morning. In the event of a lab-confirmed COVID case associated with a campus, the individual school will provide written notification to their parent and staff community in the form of an email. In addition, campuses follow an established protocol that includes additional notification for any individual who may have been exposed to a lab-confirmed case.”
- San Antonio ISD has reported 1 student case from early education to 12th grade, and a total of 16 staff cases.
- San Antonio ISD issued this statement on its active COVID-19 cases: “The COVID numbers on the chart align with what we sent TEA.”
Public school students in Bexar County were allowed to return in phases for in-class instruction on Sept. 8, but some have not started to bring students back on campus yet.
Students in Boerne and Comal ISDs gave students the option for in-person learning from the first day of school in August.
- Boerne ISD has reported 17 total cases for students from early education to 12th grade, and a total of 5 staff cases.
- Comal ISD has reported 25 total cases for students from early education to 12th grade, and a total of 9 staff cases.
The state health department and TEA reported 3,445 cumulative positive student cases statewide, and 2,850 positive staff cases since Aug. 2 through the week ending Sept. 20.
According to the data, there are have been an estimated 1.1 million students and more than 800,000 staff on campus for instruction or activities since the beginning of the school year.
The TEA will report COVID-19 cases in public school districts on a weekly basis. Districts are required to notify the state health department any time there is a positive case in a campus community.
Below is a table with the updated COVID-19 case information for public school students and staff in the San Antonio and surrounding area districts.
(Data is directly from TEA and state health department.)