Inmate who died after apparent medical episode at Bexar County jail identified by BCSO

The inmate was found unresponsive inside of his cell Saturday morning

The cost to care for and monitor inmates meant for TDCJ facilities will cost the Bexar County Sheriff's Office over $1 million. (Joshua Saunders, KSAT)

SAN ANTONIOUpdate:

The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of the man who died while in custody at the Bexar County jail after suffering an apparent medical episode.

The Sheriff’s Office said Lambert Earl Sabrsula, 45, was found in his cell unresponsive by a detention deputy on Saturday.

The deputy entered the cell, performed life-saving measures and initiated an emergency medical response at the facility.

Sabrsula was pronounced dead by paramedics with the San Antonio Fire Department.

His family was contacted and notified of his death, the Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

The Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office has listed Sabrsula’s cause of death as “pending” and will rule on the final cause of death.

Original:

The death of a 45-year-old inmate at the Bexar County Jail is under investigation, the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office said Saturday morning.

Around 4:37 a.m., a sheriff’s detention deputy discovered the inmate, who was found unresponsive inside of his cell during face-to-face observation checks. Officials believe the inmate suffered an apparent medical episode.

The deputy entered the cell and performed life-saving measures on the inmate while also calling for further medical assistance.

The inmate was later pronounced deceased by paramedics with the San Antonio Fire Department.

The Medical Examiner’s Office will rule on the final cause of death and the inmate’s identity has not yet been released, pending notification of family.

An investigation into the inmate’s death is currently underway.

The inmate was charged with assault of a peace officer, which is a second-degree felony. His bond was set at $7,500 and he was booked Nov. 13.

This is a developing story and we’ll bring more updates as they become available.

RELATED: Bexar County jail inmate death under investigation, BCSO says

About the Authors

Emmy-award winning reporter Dillon Collier joined KSAT Investigates in September 2016. Dillon's investigative stories air weeknights on the Nightbeat and on the Six O'Clock News. Dillon is a two-time Houston Press Club Journalist of the Year and a Texas Associated Press Broadcasters Reporter of the Year.