SAN ANTONIO – Editor’s note: This story was published through a partnership between KSAT and Live From the Southside, a new local- and Latina-owned magazine that works to improve & expand community relationships through promoting events, stories and businesses.
The first Southside Book Fair will be held on May 16, 2021, at Brooster’s Backyard Ice House from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The free event will feature esteemed authors from San Antonio’s South Side and elsewhere in Texas. The authors will meet and greet visitors and sign and sell their books.
A featured panel discussion will focus on “Writing Beyond Borders.” The authors will share their unique perspective on how their works reflect overcoming borders – both physical and symbolic — like the ones imposed by traumas and societies.
Also on site will be the Twig Book Shop and the San Antonio Museum of Art, which will promote literacy by sharing what the museum has to offer.
Brooster’s Backyard Icehouse, located at 815 Pleasanton Road, San Antonio, TX 78214, is a family- and pet-friendly location, which is always fun for the whole family. There will be activities and readings for children. A kid’s writing contest will be held to encourage kids to write and share their stories
The panelists and authors that will be featured at this event are:
- CARMEN TAFOLLA (Panelist) Book – The Last Butterfly
- NICHOLAS SOLIS (Panelist) Book – The Color Collector
- MARGARITA LONGORIA (Panelist) Book Living Beyond Borders
- ALDA P. DOBBS (Panelist) Barefoot Dreams of Petra Luna
- LINDA PEARSON Kid illustrated Book Series
- XAVIER GARZA Book: Maximilian: The Mystery of the Guardian Angel
- SUSAN McCAULEY Book – Ghost Hunters
- NATALIA TREVINO Book – Virgin X
- BELLA CORTEZ Book Crafty Cortez Sisters
- CAROLINA HINOJOSA Book – Becoming Coztototl
- VINCENT COOPER Book – Zarzamora: Poetry of Survival
- LINDSAY LESLIE Book – Nova the Star Eater
- ADRIANNA CUEVAS Book – Total Eclipse of Nestor Lopez
- JEANETTE LARSON Book – Hummingbirds Facts and Folklore from the Americas
- JIM SANDERSON Book – Gambled Dreams
- KARI LAVELLE Book – We Move the World
- NEPHTALI DE LEON Book – I will catch the sun!
In addition, the following children will be recognized as contributing writers for Live From the Southside Magazine:
- Bella Cortez
- Rachel Good
- Emily Garcia
- Evan Sanchez
- Alexia Delgadillo
- Ariana Marie DeLeon
- Kristin Howell
- Madalyn Jai Sanchez
- Evan Anthony Sanchez
The Southside Book Fair wishes to acknowledge and thank all of their sponsors and partners:
Martinez & Associates, PLLC
Mission Del Lago
Gonzaba Medical Group
Rockin G Grill
The Twig Book Shop
San Antonio Art Museum
Robert M Castillo – SHBC Podcast
4 Goodness Project
For more information about the book fair and writing contest visit www.SouthsideBookFair.com.
Authors interested in being featured at this book fair or next year’s event can email SouthsideBookFairSA@gmail.com.
To become a sponsor or for more information call April Monterrosa at (210) 896-4445.
This article initially appeared on Live from the Southside.
Do you know of someone or something on the South Side that deserves some news coverage? Let us know in the prompt below.
Read more content by Live From The South Side Magazine: