Five people taken to hospital after carbon monoxide leak at downtown hotel, SAFD says

All of the guests at Hampton Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk were evacuated

SAN ANTONIO – Five people were taken to a hospital after a carbon monoxide leak led to an evacuation of a downtown hotel, according to San Antonio Fire Department.

The incident happened just before noon Friday in the 100 block of Soledad Street, at the Hampton Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk.

Fire officials said five people in the gym were not feeling well and their symptoms aligned with possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

All of them were evacuated outside for fresh air before being taken to a local hospital by EMS.

Two of the gymgoers needed further treatment and three others were taken for evaluation out of precaution, according to SAFD.

A Hazmat crew was called to the scene for air monitoring and they found high levels of carbon monoxide in the building, fire officials said.

SAFD crews worked quickly to evacuate the entire building and get each of the floors ventilated. They’re still working to pinpoint the source of the gas leak that led to the carbon monoxide buildup.

No other injuries were reported. Hotel staff said the building reopened around 3 p.m. or 4 p.m. Friday.

We’ll bring more updates to this story as they become available.

Also on KSAT:

About the Authors

Adam Barraza is a photojournalist at KSAT 12 and an El Paso native. He interned at KVIA, the local ABC affiliate, while still in high school. He then moved to San Antonio and, after earning a degree from San Antonio College and the University of the Incarnate Word, started working in news. He’s also a diehard Dodgers fan and an avid sneakerhead.

Recommended Videos