Jury convicts San Antonio man for supporting terrorist organizations

He is in federal custody and awaiting sentencing set for Aug. 23, 2023

Gavel generic

SAN ANTONIO – A federal jury convicted a San Antonio man on Thursday for conspiracy-related “material support” toward terrorists.

Imad Eddin Wadi conspired to funnel funds to members and affiliates of U.S.-designated foreign terrorist organizations, according to court documents and trial evidence. One of the organizations was the al-Nusrah Front, a Syrian militant organization with ties to al-Qaida.

In the conspiracy, Wadi “communicated with others to secure a wealthy investor to invest funds to support Wadi’s purchase of a business,” according to a news release from the United States Attorney’s Office Western District of Texas.

Some of the funds and profits from the investments were to purchase weapons for foreign militants, members and affiliates of al-Nusrah Front.

Wadi was found guilty on three charges. The first charge was conspiracy to murder and maim in a foreign country. He faces up to life in prison.

He also faces 20 years in prison on the material support to designated foreign terrorist group charge and 15 years on the material support or resources to terrorists charge.

Wadi is in federal custody and awaiting sentencing on Aug. 23, 2023.

The FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force is handling the investigation.

ALSO ON KSAT.COM

Man facing eviction arrested for making terroristic threats against FBI, Bexar County Pct. 4 Constable’s Office, JP

BCSO Deputy, K9 hit by wrong-way driver; two teens in custody after running from scene

Local couple accused of injuring toddler could face charges in 2 counties

About the Author:

Mason Hickok is a digital producer trainee at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, walking his dogs and listening to podcasts.