Explosives found at Southeast Side home detonated, BCSO says

About 20 pounds of commercial explosives found by family members at inherited property on Stuart Road

BEXAR COUNTY, Texas – Explosives found at a vacant property in Southeast Bexar County were detonated Tuesday afternoon, according to the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office.

The San Antonio Police bomb squad assisted BCSO and the Bexar County Fire Marshal’s Office with the detonation in the 8400 block of Stuart Road, near the intersection with New Sulphur Springs Road.

The property owner reported finding 20 pounds of “commercial explosives” while they were clearing out, which was found on the land they had inherited from a family member, BCFMO Deputy Chief John Ortega said. Investigators believe the explosives, which were in a container in an open field, had been there “probably 40 years or so, if not longer.”

“Prior to the federal regulation of high explosives, you know, we’re talking 50 years ago — 40, 50 years ago — these items were kind of proliferated out into the public,” Ortega said.

People within a 1,000-foot radius of the site were evacuated — about 11 or 12 homes in all. The explosives were detonated shortly after 1:30 p.m.

SAPD, in their social media posts, said the incident was not a danger to public safety; however, people in the area could have experienced a shake from the detonation.

About the Authors

Mason Hickok is a digital producer trainee at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, walking his dogs and listening to podcasts.

Garrett Brnger is a reporter with KSAT 12.