Loop 1604 Expansion: Major construction set to begin between Highway 281 and Redland Road

Segment is expected to reach completion by 2027

SAN ANTONIO – The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) broke ground Tuesday on the next phase of its Loop 1604 North Expansion Project.

The $218 million segment will expand four miles of Loop 1604 in both directions between Highway 281 and Redland Road. This is the first round of 1604 construction east of Highway 281. Most construction has been concentrated on Loop 1604 from Bandera Road past I-10 to Hwy. 281.

Construction on this fourth segment will begin in April 2024 and are expected to be completed by 2027, a TxDOT press release said.

Work on the remaining portions of Loop 1604 is expected to continue through 2028. At full completion of the six-segment project, commute times are expected to be reduced by 76%, the release said.

Map of the segment of Loop 1604 set to be under construction. (TxDOT)

The Texas Clear Lanes, which launched in 2015, is a TxDOT initiative aimed at relieving congestion on highways across the state while improving mobility and safety.

“Today, we’re breaking ground on another Texas Clear Lanes project designed to get Texans out of gridlock and back to the things they want and need to do,” Texas Transportation Commission Chairman J. Bruce Bugg said. “The Loop 1604 North Expansion is a transformative project that will bring the improvements needed to increase mobility and reduce congestion now and in the future.”

Work will expand the main lanes from a four-lane expressway to a 10-lane expressway, implement HOV lanes in each direction and improve intersections.

Bicyclist and pedestrian safety accommodations on the frontage roads will also be placed.

For more information on the other segments of the project, click here.

To stay up to date on the roadways in San Antonio, check out KSAT’s Traffic page.

About the Authors

Mason Hickok is a digital producer trainee at KSAT. He graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a communication degree and a minor in film studies. He also spent two years working at The Paisano, the independent student newspaper at UTSA. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys the outdoors, walking his dogs and listening to podcasts.

RJ Marquez is the traffic anchor/reporter for KSAT’s Good Morning San Antonio. He also fills in as a news anchor and has covered stories from breaking news and Fiesta to Spurs championships and high school sports. RJ started at KSAT in 2010. He is proud to serve our viewers and be a part of the culture and community that makes San Antonio great.